Bustin' out




Not in the common sense of busting out of your clothes as that problem has since been remedied for me. (:

But it has come to my attention that I am close to graduating. A year from this April I will walk and receive my Bachelor of Arts in English. I figured this day was a long ways away but now it's about to hit me in the face and I can't help but wonder


now what?



I'm looking at grad schools all over the country that have good creative programs. What do I want to write? I don't know. Justin says I could write TV shows if I wanted because I have so much experience with DC that it'd really be not much transition for me. It's something I'm seriously looking into. On the other hand, I want to teach in high schools to kids who have problems expressing themselves. I would love to be in a funky little classroom and have writing exercises that would help kids look past themselves and create something they can really put their hearts in. But would I have fun doing that for forever? Would I be able to get into the book market and actually sell my stories? These are things I should probably start thinking about.

Also, the GRE. Whoever thought I'd have to know what the heck that was? Not me, I can tell you that. To tell you the truth, I never thought I'd get as far as grad school when I was eighteen. I wanted to go to grad school, I just always thought I'd get married by then. Granted, I got through my undergrad pretty fast because I knew what I was majoring in and I didn't dilly dally very much. I'll be leaving with a BA before I turn 22. Not too shabby, eh?

But all in all, I'm pretty excited to go to grad school. It's awesome to think about being in little classes with a bunch of really talented people and working closely with professors who can get me to where I want to be in my career.

Which brings me to my last tough decision. Where do I go? I want to go to schools that have a good creative writing program and I want to go to schools that will pay for me. Goodness knows I don't have the money to go to grad school. This leaves me with intensely competitive programs in schools like Cornell, Boston U, NYU, New School, Johns Hopkins, Brown and Penn State. Can you see why I'm a wee bit intimidated?

At any rate, I'm thinking about life after BYU and it's exciting. Who knows what will happen in the next year before I leave this place, but I'm preparing to live up my 20's as best as I can and it looks like it's gonna be a good decade.

Hooah.

Comments

Natalie said…
You rock! Isn't it weird to think you'll be done in a year? I'll be done in a year, too, and for some reason being done with my BA sounds older than being married. Ah, well.

I have a professor who IS you in 20 years, I promise. She has short cute hair, the same glasses, is SO smart, and such a fun teacher. I can see you rockin' that! If you go on and just write -- I will buy every book :). I'm so proud of ya, Whit, and you're going to do GREAT THINGS. My only answer to your questions of where you should go, just go to the temple. :) You'll figure out what's right for you if you do.

GO WHITNEY!!! :)

Popular Posts